Structure: Marr-Orbeli gate VII; towers 54 and 56.
This gate was known to the Russian excavators as the "Chequer-Board Gate" because of a panel of red and black stone squares over its entrance.
The gate, with its decorative panel, is probably from the 10th century, but the towers were renovated during the Shaddadid period (1164-99).
East of the Chequer-board Gate the wall begins to turn towards the south-east. There are number of shallow rectangular towers at this turning point, contrasting with the semicircular towers used elsewhere in the ramparts.
Beyond this point the wall becomes a single line of fortifications. It is still impressive, with a series of handsome and extremely well preserved towers.
After these towers most of the wall has been lost - except for a substantial section close to the Church of Tigran Honents and overlooking the Akhurian river.
Beyond this last section only isolated fragments of the wall survive. Like the wall overlooking the Tsaghkotsadzor valley, it probably joined up with the citadel wall.
4. Looking towards the Akhurian
ravine - click for a larger photo
5. Towers along the single wall
- click for a larger photo
6. Decorative panel on a tower overlooking the Virgins' Convent